Friday, June 15, 2012

The Perfect Career


I am currently employed as a support assistant in administration with the federal government. I have been at my place of employement since June 2008. I review payroll documents, make supply purchases, review travel authorizations and assist administratively where needed. My collateral duties should be planning office parties and being the lunch goffer but I'm not a party planneer and have seemingly gotten away from those duties.  Sure I'm glad that I am employed but I am severely unhappy. For the last three years I have been on USAJobs.gov looking for other work. I have applied for over 30 to 40 positions. In the grand scheme of things applying for 30 to 40 positions isn't much compared to some of people out there in the world. What is important to note is that my passion for the last 9 years has been fitness. However took a job outside of my field because it allowed me an opportunity to pay my living expenses once my divorce was final.

Here I am four years later and I am miserable. While on USAJobs.gov I noticed that I have been unable to find the perfect position. I'm not sure it even exists. In most cases I would bet that people have to adapt in order to make those jobs work. Because of my very strong opinions I find that if I were to adapt I would be adapting to an environment where things are not done according to policy all the time. This is a place where applicants are hand-picked before the vacant position is announced. Large sums of money are spent on conferencing facilities when lower cost venues exist. There is more but I won't go into details. All I can say is that it's unsettling to say the least.

A light bulb went off while I was at work yesterday and I wondered why don't I create my own job/career/position. There are a few things I love that I could see doing for a very long time.

1.      Fitness/Health & Wellness

2.      Food (from all regions of the world) and it's health benefits

3.      Educating people about the first two items

Although I have not finished brainstorming I realize this is going to be a lot of work. See, I don't stick with any one thing as my friends and family point out. I'm all over the place. I start something and then stop when I get bored or when it proves too cumbersome. I am seen in the eyes of those who know me as someone who can't or won't change.

This morning I officially start my journey to creating my own career from scratch - well kind of. I have one year to the day to chronicle my journey, the good times and the bad through words and pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment