Friday, February 1, 2013

I actually thought I was in shape

Last week I decided to take my training to the next level by hiring a personal trainer to train me in kickboxing and boxing (thanks Lucia Rijker!).  I figured why not.  I have the hand wraps, boxing gloves, mma gloves, focus pads. I have everything I need to get started.  Right? Wrong! I need cardio endurance!  The trainer took me through some kicking drills and I just about died!  Okay not literally but I was doubled over, gasping for air and feeling very very faintish.  Need I say more?  How unlike me to be out of shape.  Well apparently it is just like me. 

I'm 40 and out of shape.  You know what they say, "never count your chickens before they are hatched."  Basically I took for granted that because I once was a personal trainer and I currently work out 4-5 days a week that I had everything all figured out. To my embarrassment I didn't.

Starting tomorrow I am on a 1500 calorie diet.  Wait! The word "diet" shall not be in my word bank.  Instead I will use "eating regimen". See I shrink when I think of severely restricting my food intake.  Even though I know there is a way to get what I need but with few calories I still get scared.  Reason is, in case I haven't already mentioned this, I love food.  I believe I was a big girl in my previous life. and if I ever come back as anything else I am coming back as a piece of pie or a huge piece of red velvet cake!  I remember when a prior training client of mine told me that his father, who lives in Ireland, ate cake sandwiches(cake sandwiched between two pieces of white bread) I immediately wanted to know where I could find one.  I should note that not only was there a piece of cake between those slices of bread but there were fries (chips) as well. Now that's my kind of sandwich!

To get this whole personal training thing kicked off I purchased three sessions.  I just have to see how it goes.  As for now I am clearly out of shape and I can't afford to keep lying to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment