Sunday, October 21, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness

Today was the Strides for a Cure 4 mile walk in San Diego.  My walk wasn't about me it was about my sister.  She was diagnosed the same month she turned 41 years of age.  On the outside she seems pretty strong and resilient and has been since she was diagnosed.  Today, ironically, she sent me a text and seem really upset that everyone was judging her.  I'm not sure what has happened but I need to make sure that I am available for her in case she just needs to vent. 

The next five month are going to be hard for her.  She has one more surgery and then she is planning to get enrolled in school.  From there she must work at finishing school and find a job so that she can get back on her feet.  Times are tough for her but I don't ever see her as weak.  She's like a power house and I don't think she realizes it.

Today during the event I decided not to take any pictures of me.  I felt like it would be selfish of me to take pictures that included me in them.  As I said earlier I didn't do this for me.  Now that I'm moving away I am very conflicted.  I'm sad that I won't be there for my sisters and Grandma.  On the other hand I'm excited for this new journey.  I'm disturbed that my ex is urging me to go away without so much as a "I'm going to miss you." or "Make sure you stay in touch."  I guess that's why we are exes.  It's still sad though.

No comments:

Post a Comment